Tuesday 22 January 2013

Dead to Me

       I stood, watching him walk away, and as I did my tears streamed down my face in a flowing river.  I wished I hated him.  I wished I never fell in love with him.  The smell of his cologne still lingered in the air, intoxicating me further.  I spun and ran, moving as fast as I possibly could.  I dashed down the sidewalk until finally, five blocks away, I was at my house.  I ran inside slamming doors behind me, the last being my bedroom door.  As in any cliche, overdone book or movie, I slammed my back against the door and side down to the ground.  I pulled my thighs to my chest and buried my tear streaked face in my knees.  My little brother knocked on the door.
       "Mary?" he asked, his innocent voice was quiet, high pitched, and adorable. "Are you okay?"
       I found the strength to stand up and open the door about five minutes later.  He was still standing there.  This was the reason I loved him so much.  He cared and always would.  I gave him a forced smile and picked him up, holding him firmly against my chest.
       "Who did it?" he asked gently. "Was it Tyler?"
       I simply nodded.  He hugged me tightly in a cute-little-brotherly way. "It's okay." he kissed my cheek.
       This time, my smile wasn't fake.  It was as genuine as his sparkling brown eyes.  I stepped back in and pulled the door shut.  As we sat on my bed, he talked about all the ways he would hurt him and, being a little boy, all the ways he would kill him for hurting me.  I smiled as he continued excitedly.
       "...Then, I would kick him in the face so hard, his brains would smash out of the other side of his and it would kill him like he was a zombie!" he said.
       I laughed and hugged him, kissing his forehead. "I like that one the best," I smiled.  He grinned happily.



       A week later, I was feeling fine.  My little brother had made me feel all the better.  I was totally fine... Until Tyler showed up.  He talked to me in a way that was persuasive, seductive.
       "Leave me alone Tyler. I'll kick you so hard, your brains will come out the back of your head. You're dead to me."
       That did him in and he left.  I smiled.  My mother noticed my happy nature when I got home and asked how it was with Tyler.  I told her my little brother helped me get over it.
       She gave me a strange look. "How many times do I have to tell you, Mary?  You don't have a little brother."
-----------------------------------------
                              'Til I post again,
                               Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment